Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
Read more: http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz1X8tUqQzR

Thursday, July 21, 2011

I've Done It Now

  Well, I started to feel it a few days ago, yet I ignored it.  It started off as just a sore leg, which I brushed aside as the result of switching my cardio from the elliptical to the Stairmaster.  Simple right?  Like switching exercises in your lifting routine; I thought nothing of it.  Over the next few days though, I started to notice it when it didn't go away like I thought it would.  Yet still, bah; I'll just work through it, stop using the Stairmaster for a week.  Little did I know how bad it actually was.
  In the last few days, as I said I was only using the cross trainer and it seemed to be getting better.  I was more concerned than normal because it was the same foot that I fractured a year ago; I was in a aircast for over a month as a result.  Yet I still thought it was just the new stress of a different exercise than my body was used to.   I mean, when you go running or play a sport you haven't played in a long time, you're bound to wake up sore the next day.  Simple as that right?  Nothing more to it.  Wrong!    I woke up yesterday to a slightly swollen ankle, decided it wasn't all that bad still and went to the gym anyway.  Surprisingly, it didn't bother me that much there, so I figured it was healing.   When I got to work yesterday afternoon, it was bothering me more.  I knew it was going to be a tough shift, but hey!, someone's got to pay the bills..  Everything started out fine and I thought I would be alright; it was only a six hour shift after all.  I started feeling it almost immediately though, but as I was already there and we were busy I put it out of my mind.  I was dead tired too, and a funny thing happens to me when I am lacking so much sleep; I start laughing, at everything!  My co workers found it hilarious; for the first two hours of my shift I swear to God, I couldn't stop laughing.  All the while feeling an enormous pain at the same time.  Everybody was staring at me, and I mean REALLY staring. For it wasn't a normal "hahaha" laugh, no it was a manic crazy person laugh.  The type of laughing where you literally can't stop, and when it does recede for a few seconds or a minute, just the action of someone looking at you can get you cracking up again.  All the customers were staring at me, and if that wasn't crazy enough, when those moments came where I wasn't laughing my a** off, I had this mile wide smile plastered on my face.  The kind of smile that is the result of talking to your crush when in high school; I'm talking a "this guy must be high" smile.  In fact, my co workers were asking me, perhaps jokingly, if I had maybe enjoyed a joint before work.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of the customers were thinking the same thing.
  After about an hour, the laughing left me; I think I just ran out of adrenaline.  For that's the reason I was laughing so hard in the first place (and maybe feeling a wee bit high after all).  With all the pain and trauma to my leg, I'm sure the adrenaline was flowing through me faster than a speeding bullet. Once it wore off though, that's when the real ordeal began.  From then until we closed, I was in sheer pain; agony.  I mean it was just horrible; not much else in my life rivals it.  When we started the closing routine, my co workers were NOT happy with me since I couldn't really do any of the work.  I cleaned a few counters, that's it.  That doesn't mean I didn't try; of course I did.  I really like and respect everyone I work with and I didn't want them to be a person short.  In the end though, I had to just go to the staff room until it was time to leave; why did I even go to work again?
   My story doesn't end there, oh no.  I called my mom and she had to come pick me up.  Yet I tried and could barely get down the stairs to leave, let alone walk the ten minutes to the back door.  My mom (thank god I have her) had to bring my crutches that were at home from the time I fractured my foot, and then had to ask the security guard to let her into the warehouse and walk all the way to the staff room to give them to me. Then began the long and painful walk to the car; I was "ouching" and "god***iting" all the way to the car.   Saved again by my mom (may God bless her).  
  It appears to me, and I really don't know why, that there's always some trauma or other going on in my life at any given moment.  Can I just have a few months where all goes smoothly?  Just a few months!  So it looks like I will be missing another day of work tomorrow in favor of icing my ankle and visiting the doctor.  I really can't think of any better way to describe my life other than the very name of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment